Anthony Johnson, a 29-year-old actual property agent in Miami, Florida, had at all times stored his cash with one of many huge banks.
“Total, it was a good expertise,” he says. “It didn’t change into a difficulty till I turned an actual property agent.”
Though he was earning profits, it wasn’t within the type of a commonly scheduled direct deposit. His financial institution didn’t like that, so it began slapping him with a $12 month-to-month payment.
“It’s not prefer it’s a bunch of cash, but it surely provides up,” Johnson says. “It was like, ‘Why am I paying you guys to carry my cash?’”
A Banking App That’s Acquired Your Again
In October 2018, Johnson downloaded an app known as Empower. He was drawn to its invoice negotiation function. Then, at some point when he signed in, he noticed the announcement about its new fee-free banking merchandise: A 1% cash-back debit card and a financial savings account with 2% APY (with no minimal stability).
“I’m like, ‘That’s superb,’” he says.
On the time, the accounts had been so new that there was a waitlist to affix, so he added his title. However he was so excited to faucet into it that he tweeted at Empower asking to skip the road.
These had been the magic phrases. He gained entry to the brand new mobile-only financial institution and arrange his free checking and financial savings accounts. Inside a number of days, he acquired his fairly new orange debit card within the mail.
Empower App Evaluation: Cease Worrying About Your Cash
Along with Empower’s banking and financial savings accounts, the app comes chock filled with easy-to-use money-management options.
And it’s free.
Truly, Empower technically pays you to make use of the app, because of that cash-back debit card and interest-earning financial savings account.
Cell Banking (With Rewards)
For Johnson, cell banking is likely one of the most interesting components of Empower.
That cash-back debit card and high-yield financial savings account are a part of Empower’s new cell banking accounts. Meaning you’ll be able to entry your checking and financial savings in a single spot. Plus, every account comes with money-making perks.
Whenever you be a part of Empower banking, you’ll get:
- A debit card that’ll grant you 1% money again on the primary $1,000 value of purchases with it every month. For every pal you refer, the speed will increase to 2% money again for a month.
- A financial savings account that yields 2% APY (that’s curiosity you earn), which will increase to four% for a month whenever you refer a pal. (Truthfully, four% curiosity on a financial savings account is nearly exceptional.)
Your account is FDIC-insured for as much as $250,000. It’s additionally completely free with no minimal stability.
When you obtain the app, you’ll find a way to enroll in Empower banking in lower than 5 minutes.
Whenever you obtain Empower, you’ll have the choice to enroll in that shiny new banking account, or you’ll be able to stick to what you’ve received. Both approach, you’ll have the ability to use the app’s different options, together with a spending tracker.
The sensible app registers transactions in your linked accounts and breaks them down by class: payments and utilities, groceries, eating and drinks, private care, leisure, and many others.
You possibly can even customise classes. If you spend approach an excessive amount of cash consuming out for lunch, create a customized class titled “Lunch.” At first, you may need to manually categorize these transactions, however the app will ultimately get the dangle of it and do it for you.
From there, you’ll monitor your spending inside every class. You possibly can even set limits. For instance, set a restrict of $25 every week for lunches out. When you’re near that restrict, you’ll get a notification from Empower, so that you’ll know to pack your lunch for the remainder of the week.
The app additionally tracks your revenue. From there, it’ll tally what you’ve received left over for financial savings. It’s a easy calculation, but it surely helps you identify a funds.
Invoice Negotiation and Subscription Cancellations
Empower’s invoice negotiation function was why Johnson initially downloaded the app. He needed to barter his month-to-month payments and see any sneaky subscriptions lingering on his accounts.
After he linked his accounts, Empower registered his recurring month-to-month transactions.
First, he was capable of faucet into its invoice negotiation function, offered by BillShark. It analyzes varied offers and promotions and allows you to know the place it can save you. There isn’t any up-front price, and BillShark expenses a 40% payment of the financial savings it finds for you within the first yr — provided that it finds financial savings.
Empower has additionally partnered with the insurance coverage market Gabi, which helps you store for the most effective dwelling and automotive insurance coverage charges inside the Empower app.
Second, Empower checked on his month-to-month subscriptions. It’ll listing them for you, then let you understand how to cancel something you not use or need.
Johnson noticed that he was paying for an Instacart subscription, which he wasn’t utilizing almost sufficient, so he canceled it.
Credit score Evaluation
Though Empower received’t provide you with a full-blown credit score evaluation, it may well allow you to hold your credit score rating on monitor by maintaining tabs in your credit score utilization — how a lot of your out there credit score you’re utilizing at a time.
It’s simple to lose sight of this, particularly when you might have a number of bank cards to stability.
So Empower will hold monitor of it and warn you whenever you’re nearing the 30% hazard zone. Then it’s best to pay down your bank card stability.
The Professionals and Cons of Empower
Positive, Empower presents some highly effective monetary instruments, however let’s roll up our sleeves and get to the nitty gritty: the professionals and cons of the app.
- Empower’s banking options are a number of the greatest within the trade. You’ll gather 1% money again on the primary $1,000 value of debit card purchases a month, and it has that high-yield financial savings account with 2% APY. The common financial savings account, as of December 2018, reaps solely zero.09% curiosity, in accordance with Bankrate.
- You’re nearly assured to discover a approach to save cash. Between the app’s invoice negotiation function, its subscription and spending trackers, and its customized mortgage suggestions, you’ll seemingly discover at the least a technique to save cash. Empower says its common consumer saves $360 after connecting to the app.
- Empower is an all-in-one app. When you break it down by its options, you could possibly get the identical issues, but it surely’d require downloading at the least 4 apps. With Empower, you enter your data as soon as, and it’s all proper there — without spending a dime.
- Though Empower advertises real-time transaction updates, you may expertise delays relying in your banking establishment. When you use Empower banking and a few others, you’ll see real-time updates. When you’re not in a rush to see play-by-play updates, this shouldn’t be a giant deal.
- Empower presents that good credit score monitoring function, however sadly it solely tracks your credit score utilization. You received’t have the ability to see your credit score rating or the opposite elements that make up your credit score rating proper inside the app.
- As a result of Empower is so new, not all of its options have been unveiled but. For instance, you’ll be able to’t deposit checks by way of your cellphone but. That’s what’s maintaining Johnson from shifting all his cash into the account. As quickly as that’s good to go, he plans to make use of Empower as his major account.
What Does It Value to Use Empower?
Empower is completely free to obtain and use.
The corporate makes cash the identical approach your financial institution does (besides with out charging you charges) and likewise by partnering with different monetary corporations, because it does with BillShark and Gabi.
It’s vital to notice, although, that Empower solely makes a suggestion if it’s really a wise cash transfer for you.
Is Empower Value a Obtain?
Johnson says he’d suggest Empower to others. In reality, he’s already recommending it to his mates, who’re into saving cash at any time when attainable.
“Who doesn’t need 1% money again?” he asks. “Who doesn’t need 2% on financial savings?”
For him, the money-management options are simply icing on the banking cake.
Carson Kohler ([email protected]) is a workers author at The Penny Hoarder.
The Penny Hoarder Promise: We offer correct, dependable data. Right here’s why you’ll be able to belief us and the way we earn cash.